Saturday, March 26, 2011

Letter in the mail to Kyndra...

Kyndra got a letter in the mail yesterday from Garrett.  It looks like he wrote this letter before he got on the computer on P-day, so some of it is what we already read in his emails, but still definitely worth posting.

****************

March 24, 2011

Bula Vinaka Sister,

Sorry I haven't written to you for a bit.  One of the rules is to only write on P-day, so I'm trying to stick to it.

Anyway, I've had a crazy last few days.  First of all, Elder Brown and Elder Pakileata got in a fight because they were both being dumb, so we did what's called a "Temporary Exchange", so I was Elder Pakileata's comp for a couple of days, and Elder Chlarson was with Elder Brown.  Then two days ago when we were supposed to switch back, my Pres. decided to make it permanent, so now my companion is Elder Pakileata for good.  This is honestly the hardest thing I've ever done.  He isn't like most Polynesians I know, he's not very funny at all, which is a downer, plus he's not out here for himself, so he's not willing to work at all.  So - my Pres told me to help him as much as possible and hopefully he'll change, but not to be surprised if he goes home.  It's so crazy with him, but all in all he is a good guy, and I love him...it's just hard to see him struggle.

As for progress....I can sit down and talk Fijian with a native for about 15 minutes solid now, but it's only the "get to know you" kind of stuff, and I can tell them what my purpose is as a missionary.  So sick.  But the best part of Fijian is singing in it, it sounds so good - you don't even know!  ha, ha.

The best part about this place, though, is the Spirit.  You get such good, strong feelings of it so much every day.  I've gained weight physically AND spiritually, ha, ha.  It will actually be hard to leave the MTC.

I had to walk down the street here on Tuesday to go to the doc's office with Elder Pakileata because he broke his finger in one of his temper tantrums.  CNN was on the TV in the doctor's office when we got there, and it was so annoying that I had to ask the lady working there if she would please turn it off.  The world we live in is such a messed up place, Satan is everywhere.  "He be climbin' in your windows, snatchin' your people up".  Times are so hard right now, but all you need is FAITH.

I ran into Dalton today, he looked so good.  I can't believe he's here already - so crazy - time flies.  I love that kid so much.

Au via wasea Vaadinadina
(I want to bear my testimony)
Au vakadinadinataka na Vola i Momani
(I testify of the Book of Mormon)
Kei na cavacaka vavadaukaulofu
(and of missionary work)
Au kila ni dina nabula o Jisu Karisito
(I know of the life of Christ)
Au Vakadinadinataka na Parofita o Thomas S. Monson
(I testify of the Prophet Thomas S. Monson)
Kei va Parofita o Josepha Simici
(and the Prophet Joseph Smith)
Au Vakadinadinatuka na vakalesuimai ni Kosepeli i Jusi Karisito
(I testify of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ)
E va yaca i Jisu Karisito, emeni
(In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen)

I love you Kyndra and everything you do for me.

Love,

Elder Garrett Hanke

P.S. Please share this letter with everyone cuz I won't have time to type about my whole week.

No comments:

Post a Comment