Monday, March 21, 2011

Another letter in the mail....

Ni Su Bala,


So this isn't the letter I was talking about in the email, I have to wait for a picture to be prirnted off to send to you. But I do need a few things...one pair of 36 x 32 Docker's from Kohl's, gray or black. If you could send those as soon as you get them, that would be great. Thanks. (That is actually all I need now, but in the next letter I'll have you make another shirt to send to me, but just the pants for now please.)

As for emails, I only have 30 minutes on the computer each Thursday so it's okay to ask some questions, like did I get my typhoid shot yet, but other than that just let me tell you how my week has gone, ha-ha, alright? It will make my email more enjoyable to read, I guarantee it.

Since I didn't get to it in my email I'll tell you how my week went now.  I learned the sweetest story, I've gotta tell you.

So when I got here there were two Elders going to Fiji that were still waiting to leave.  Elder Ikafarga from Australia, and Elder Estill from California.  Very cool guys.  (Elder Estill is pretty stocky.)  We got talking the night before he left about sports and what not because I could tell he played football - he said he had played at a Junior College in Cali before he turned in his mission papers three years ago.  After he turned  them in he eventually got his call to Fiji. (I asked him how old he is and he said 23.)  He told me that two months before he was supposed to leave he got in a bad car wreck that completely shattered his right femer.  (I could tell it was hard for him to talk about all of this because of football.)  While he was recovering he said his main concern was to be able to run again.  After a year of therapy he finally came to terms with the fact that he wouldn't be able to run again, and there wouldn't be any more football.  He said he went through the next year just feeling sorry for himself, when one night he had the urge to pray and ask Heavenly Father "why".  Later on that week he said he got his answer, but not the one he was looking for.  He said it hit him that he could still walk, so why wouldn't he still go on his mission?  So he started the long process of filling out his papers again.  He then got his second call to the exact same mission: Fiji Suva, speaking Fijian.  He knew without a doubt that is exactly where he was supposed to go. 

After these Elders left my teachers got an email from the Mission President's wife telling them where these two elders were transferred to.  Elder Ikafarga is on the island of Vanua Levu, deep in the jungle, equipped with a grass hut, a 4-wheel drive truck, and some chickens for food...plus all of the fruit anyone could ever think of eating.

Elder Estill got sent to a tiny island called Robi where he has to learn a whole new language, but he will be there for eight months, just he and his companion. He will be the only one who speaks English.

I thought this was a pretty cool story to share with you guys.  Gotta go now.

Love,

Elder Hanke

No comments:

Post a Comment