Sunday, October 23, 2011

Email #1:

Dear Hanke family,

This is Elder Gashler from the Mission Office. I regret to inform you that for the next few months while Elder Hanke is in Labasa he will not be able to e-mail. All of the missionaries will come to Suva once in November and once in December, so he will for sure get to talk to you then.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but just know that he is serving the Lord and this is his calling right now which he accepted gratefully.

Any questions you can e-mail back to this address.

Elder Gashler
Fiji Suva Mission

30 minutes later, Email #2:

Hope that e-mail didn't make you cry mom, haha. I kinda feel bad about it now that was pretty mean, ha.

But Labasa is awesome, ha, the work is way onz here right now. It is hard work but it is progressing way good and I think it is a lot because of my companion.  He is the bomb, is Fijian, is really pure, and I learn a lot from him.  But mostly he is just a way bomb teacher, he knows his scriptures so good.  That is one thing I'm trying to improve on always because I am really slack at that but he will be a big help. We have a bunch of progressing investigators and we had two of them get interviewed for baptism yesterday, so their baptism will be this Saturday.  I'm super stoked that I kind of just get thrown into an area like this because it’s going so good, but the branch needs a lot of work. President told me before I came that I need to build up this branch and help the leaders so that it can make its way on up to a ward. Yesterday there were about 70 people in attendance so that’s good.

We also cover a little unit in a small settlement called Naduna.  They were able to finally get conference yesterday and there were 44 people there to watch so that place is doing really good as well, but there are some problems with the leaders as well so that is our main focus.  If we can improve that area than I see no reason why these two groups can't become bigger. There are some really great members here as well.  This one lady she is the Relief Society president and I'm convinced that if she lived in Utah she would be the next in line for the General Relief Society presidency! She is the bomb, ha. There are a lot of great people here and I know I will have a great time.

Labasa town is pretty big, there is just one main road and all along it there are a bunch of shops and businesses and at night for some reason it really reminds me in a small, small way about Duchesne, ha, I don't know why. So yes World Cup is over and for the past few weeks I have heard a lot about it, ha.  Kind of sad that it is over, but here in Labasa they are all about soccer. There are so many Indians here it’s crazy. And they are freakin’ out about soccer. One other thing that is huge right now is a celebration called Diwali.  It’s mainly for Indians, but it’s kind of like the 4th of July back home. There are a ton of fireworks and parties that will happen this Friday I believe.

So anyways I'm super stoked to be here.  I will learn a lot of Fijian and my testimony should grow a ton so I'm really excited about it.

Have a good week.

Peace and Blessings,

Elder Hanke

Email #3:

How are you doin Dad?  How is the truck? And the stuff goin' with work? And how about all of the hunting and stuff going on there?

I just wanted to tell you Happy Birthday, hope you have a good one.

Lova ya Dad.

Peace and Blessings,

Your son

Email #4:

Love you Nova, thanks for everything.  I had a dream the other night and I was back home doing fast offerings and what not and you came running downstairs in your robe to hurry and fill out the form, haha.  Great memories, haha.

Fortunately I didn’t check for Garrett’s email until about an hour after he sent the first one.  I’ll admit (since you all know what a baby I am) that I got huge tears in my eyes when I read the first message, but I could also see that there were three other emails waiting to be opened.  Whew… glad to see that he hasn’t lost his sense of humor.

It sounds like he is doing well, which we are so grateful for!

Love to everyone, have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment