Sunday, June 26, 2011

A faster pace in Fiji...

Bula Vinaka everyone!

The week was straight up crazy! So, first off, we got the car, no big deal. I turn the windshield wipers on a lot when I want to turn, but other than little confusion it’s not bad. I'm starting to drive like a Fijian taxi driver, though, ha-ha. It’s way fun to drive here. My comp reminds me every once in a while to take it easy.  I love honking at all the cars and crazy j-walkers, it’s all just really fun.
Next crazy thing is the AP's called us up on Monday night and told us that they were dropping off three new Elders to stay with us until they get sent out to their areas. Two of them are Fijians serving in Fiji; the other is Wallition from Wallis and Fatuna. He grew up in New Caledonia so he speaks French and very, very, very little English. It was hilarious to talk to him but he is now serving back in New Cal. Anyway, it was just nuts because they had to go the temple a bunch and what not so we were running them around everywhere.  But long story short, we only were able to teach seven lessons and had to cancel 14, which was really bad. So this week is super packed because we have to get stuff done that we were supposed to finish last week. Quick side note, the Elder from New Cal was way good at the guitar, so one night we spent the whole time singing songs while he was playing, it was so funny.  The landlord below us was cracking up the next day while he was talking to us about it.

Anyway, this week.....the Ostlers (Mission Pres) leave on Thursday and our new Pres. gets in soon after that.  We have a mission tour this weekend which makes it hard because we are taking care of six other Elders.  What mission tour is, is that all the Fijian missionaries come to Suva and we just have a big conference. Should be fun but it makes things pretty hard with the schedule.

So everything is still way awesome even though it’s busy. I'm having the time of my life. The best part about all of it is being able to teach so many people everything I know, and when they accept it, watching them make a change in their lives is so awesome.  I could do this forever, ha-ha!  Sorry fam, but I signed up for the lifetime mission so I'm never comin’ home. (Ha-ha, I wish! That would be awesome.) But because we only have two years that makes most missionaries just work their hardest and give it everything.  I know my time here is short and I only get one chance. I love the work, and I love you all. Thanks for the support and everything.

Sota Tale,
Elder Hanke

Mama's note: The pace in Fiji must have picked up a little, huh?  "Fijian time" for Elder Hanke seems to be moving a little faster, at least compared to the "relaxed/no worries" concept he was sharing last week.  :)
Thanks so much to everyone for your continued love, support and prayers for Garrett.
~Nova

No comments:

Post a Comment