Monday, April 23, 2012

The Mission, Part Two...


Pres. and Sister Wade with Elder Hanke - Oakland, CA 4/16/2012



Well, Elder Hanke is back in the saddle after six weeks of time off.  Seems strange to be back on the blog, so I can only imagine how strange it seems for him to be back out, starting over, in a completely new area.  We emailed back and forth a bit today, so not a lot to post, but we did get the letter from the Mission President last Friday saying he arrived safely, along with the always-appreciated picture. 
Thanks to everyone for your love and support while getting Garrett through the last several weeks. He is doing great, will be on the blood thinner meds for the next year while he’s in California, with occasional lab tests to check his INR level.  We are so grateful that he is healthy and was able to go back out for the second half of his mission.

Well, I’m getting back to the ways of a missionary, there’s a big difference.  I finally feel the way I did before in Fiji and I understand why I'm here, and that “myself” doesn't matter anymore, so honestly Mom, it’s all fine.  Actually it’s better than fine, we had some sweet lessons the last few days and I'm getting back into it so it’s all chill.
I’m in a 3-some until transfers come in, then I'll find out my real area and that should be on like this Saturday or something. But it’s good, I’m in probably the most ghetto parts of Oakland, ha. Lots of streets we just don't go down past dark because it’s way too sketchy, ha, but I’m getting used to that as well.
My companions are good, ha, they are younger than me on the mish.  One has been out for 8 months and one for 3, so it’s kinda funny.  We just teach anyone who wants English, but mostly blacks cuz that’s what is mostly out here.

If you send letters and stuff to the mission home then they forward it to us, so use that address. 

(See updated address on the left.)  :)

2 comments:

  1. So glad he is able to get back out there. I bet my mom is on the same blood thinner, but her's will a lifetime thing for her. I'm glad Garrett only has to do it for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one more thought I had to share. With that 6 week break, he'll come home in warmer weather then he would have the original way. My grandparents served three missions. I can't remember which one, but on one of them, they decided to extend it just so they wouldn't come home to bitter January weather.

    ReplyDelete